The doors of Gideon Christian Fellowship were opened on November 12, 1989. The founder and current pastor, Willie F. Wooten, began with a charter membership of 91 members. Its commencement was celebrated with an official dedication service held on February 11, 1990. Gideon Christian Fellowship was the product of a seven year weekly home Bible study hosted by the late Geraldine Felix.
The Holy Spirit moved mightily in the early years, bringing increase to the church’s body. Many received the Lord as their Savior and were baptized in the Holy Spirit. Ministries including music, evangelism, and youth emerged, and church activities such as baby dedications, weddings, and membership inductions soared.
Gideon has been enormously blessed to have the five-fold ministry and support staff available to do the work assigned by Almighty God. Some of the milestones reflective of our church growth are:
- Ordination of elders, 1991
- School on Sunday established, 1992
- Elders on staff full-time, 1993
- Two services on Sunday, 1994
- Daily corporate prayer established, 1996
- Apostolic covering for Church on the Rock, 1997
- First Nehemiah Journey into the city, 1997
- Apostolic covering for Berean Christian Fellowship, 1998
- Ordination of elders, prophets, and ministers, 2002
We at Gideon are doers of the Word. Our focus is on “doing the first work” daily through corporate prayer and supplication. We endeavor to “press toward the mark of the prize of the high calling” through study of the Word, team building, and training of the saints.
God continues to speak to this local Body through the “set man,” whose influence has grown both locally and internationally. The church and its team concept is beginning to have a profound impact on many nations of the world.
Our determination is to continue!